I don't like big cities. I don't like the concrete and glass everywhere, and the fact that there are too many people bustling about, so I have chosen to live in a rural area where I have to mow a big yard and put up with the fact that there are no good conversations to be had. I have many subjects that I feel like I need to think about; things that confuse or frustrate me for one reason or another... So I am putting myself out there with a new blog in hopes that someone might be stimulated enough by what I am saying to write me back with a comment.
The internet is not really that old, and the promise it held in the beginning isn't that long buried under the weight of so-called social media companies. We have to remember that hypertext is magical; if used correctly it could integrate all forms of knowledge and information into something actually digestible by a determined aspirant. Do you remember webrings? People could join with like minded folk with similar projects and achieve more due to creative collaboration and mutual inspiration. Why did we replace that with the more narcissistic platforms that are currently in vogue? Was it ever really our choice? Or did the powers that be decide for us that this is the way we would be using available technologies?
It doesn't help matters that we live in times of social isolation and the pandemic, or the politicians and pundits in legacy media try to keep everyone confused about what's really going on in the world.
I make this confession that I believe in some conspiracy theories, and actually I would think you'd have to be quite gullible to not think that rich and powerful people get together in smoky rooms to conspire against the common man. Yet no matter how clever these giants of social influence are, for the most part I suspect they are all just trying to hang on to the power they already have, relying on old principles to further their reach into somebody else's business. I don't think it would take all that much on the part of any individuals to collectively upset the apple cart of corrupt and irrational governments. Let us each grow and help each other so we can force the larger social institutions to evolve or die.
We can do better. We can get back to what works in terms of bringing about true cultural evolution rather than engaging in practices that only bring out the worst in ourselves and each other. I would like to get back to keeping a diary of my thoughts. I want to bring back longform writing and get back to being a serious reader. There's too much to know and learn in this world to let the call go unanswered. Better still, maybe we can make some friends along the way.
Sunday, May 16, 2021
Save Me, Save Us All
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Where (not when) should the conversation start?
At this point in time, it would seem that leftist politics has gone insane. It looks like they get everything wrong that they can get wrong...
-
It's a simple truism and becoming a bore to talk about the fact that we live in an era of Fake News. We need to understand where it com...
-
At this point in time, it would seem that leftist politics has gone insane. It looks like they get everything wrong that they can get wrong...
-
I don't like big cities. I don't like the concrete and glass everywhere, and the fact that there are too many people bustling about,...
FREEDOM! A great read!
ReplyDelete